Mission & History of St. Patrick Cathedral School
To proclaim the Good News of the Gospel and to develop each student spiritually, intellectually, physically and socially to live in a changing society.
Faith In Learning
Our atmosphere of "Faith In Learning" means our students feel safe to ask questions, try new skills, and persevere in their learning. They receive the building blocks of faith so they can begin to develop the strong moral compass and sense of self necessary to help them become confident learners.
As the first Catholic school in Charlotte (built-in 1930 as the O’Donoghue School), St. Patrick Catholic School has a strong history of tradition, student achievement, and community involvement. St. Patrick Catholic School has operated at this site since the early 1930s, when the main portion of our building was built. We were called O'Donoghue School until the mid-1960s, when the name was changed to reflect the Parish name. The original O'Donoghue School, organized in the late 1800s, was located downtown and was affiliated with St. Peter's Parish. The upstairs of our main building at one time was used to house Our Lady of Mercy High School for Girls when Charlotte Catholic was an all-boys school. The original building has been expanded twice; first, the section from the staircase to the door nearest the Cathedral was added, and later, in the 1960s, the gym and cafeteria were added.